Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Teen Parents




http://ahhmandah.wordpress.comI
Being a mother is always hard and scary for some. I was one of the fortunate ones that found it one of the easiest things to do and one of the best things that I would do in my lifetime. Of course I made it a choice and not one of those things that just seems to happen to many of the people out there that do not think of the consequences of having unprotected sex.
I lived in Seattle, Washington for a little over 5 years and one of the many different jobs that I had was working with teen parents. It was often incommodious to understand that some of these teens would never have gotten this way if they had a different kind of home life. One of the girls was taking care of the parents as well as herself and her child. That was one of the teens that I knew would succeed in life and to this day I have followed her progression and indeed she is doing wonderful.
Some teens try to do the best they can and find out that they cannot make a go of it and finally end up giving their child up for adoption. I commend them for that also. Either way of living is not easy, but a decision has to be made either way.
http://worldpulse.com
Being a mother at an early age is giving up many things in your life. You no longer can act like you are the age you are. You MUST grow up! You cannot have a baby and cart the baby around and treat it like it is a baby doll. The baby is real and he/she has needs. I say this because one of the girls did this and I was appalled, but my job was to be her advocate and to teach her how to be a mother. Of course she was fighting me all of the way, but that did not stop me from trying. You pray for the best for the baby and work with the teen so that she can give the baby the ultimate care. All the baby knows is that is his/her mother and would not know anything different if she acted like a grown up or like a teen ager.
The best advice that I can give to a teenager is to weigh in all of your options. Do you have a home for the both of you? Do you have good support from your family? Would you have someplace to go to help you learn how to be a mother if it is necessary? Will the father be there to help you provide for the baby?
There are so many questions that you need to ask yourself before taking on such a task. Even if you have someplace to go, the bottom line is this is your baby and you must do everything you can for this baby. Do not expect anyone else to do it for you. You must learn to feed the baby, change his/her diapers, learn the signs when he/she is sick, and understand the difference between a cry for hunger, wet and I just want to be held. Babies do not come with a “How to Book”.
When I had my first child I was in for a shock. It seemed like all of the books I read and all of the advice I was given was all wrong. This baby that I had in my arms was not responding to anything that I was told or that I read; he just cried and cried. I held him in my arms and had to put him into a front carrier because he wanted to see what I was doing at every minute every single day, but before I figured that out I either carried him around or tried to put him down to do housework or to eat and he was not having it. One day I was downstairs in my family room and I put him on the couch so that I could vacuum. I neatly tucked him in with pillows and made sure he was secure until I could get the floor done. I looked over while I was vacuuming and he was sound asleep. I’ll be doggone if he did not like the sound of the loud vacuum or the constant noise to help him go to sleep.
To this day he has to have a hum of a fan on to go to sleep at night and since then I have discovered things about myself and going to sleep. Noises that are constant help me go to sleep also. These are some of the many things that you have to discover about your children. You have to keep an open mind, be objective and help them discover not only their talents, but their sense of imagination. I sometimes felt that my children had too many toys to play with and not enough creativity until one day my son was angry with me for putting him the time out chair too many times and wished that I would just spank him and get it over with. I laughed at him because my son was so hyper that the time out chair was so perfect for him. I asked him why he did not just make up stuff in his head while he was there to pass the time. He said he did…he imagined a ball outside the window bouncing up and down, but that just got to be too boring for him. I told him the only other option for him was to stop doing the bad things that he was doing to get him into the chair because spanking was not an option.
To raise a child these days is not just something that we do anymore like it was back when I was a child. I thought of it as a privilege when I had my boys because children are precious and need special care the first few years of their lives. I am dealing with a problem right now that is heart breaking. This mother is old enough to know better, but has never grown up so to speak. She is so needy and wants so much attention that she uses the pregnancies and the children as a way to get that attention. It has taken me and one other woman years to get these children into a certain state of reasonable survival so that they can live without looking like they are animals in the wild instead of little lovable human beings like they are. They did not even know how to shower and wash their own hair because they were not shown how to do the basic things.
I cringe when I think that there are worse living situations out there than these few children that I am managing. This mother was just selfish and other mother’s are too busy trying to get drugs and other things to pay attention to even feeding their children. The children that I am referring to at least got fed even if they had to get it themselves. They were just not clean and not clothed properly. The mother was too busy trying to figure out what she could do for herself instead of clothing the children appropriately or paying attention to bathing them and making sure that they knew how to take care of themselves.
 
I was watching a clip on the awards Sunday night 3/2/2014 and I was happy, ecstatic, and elated for the man that won the award and not because he won the award. Because he was the son of a single mother and was so proud of his mother and was standing there cheering her on. It is not often that you hear that from a child of a single mom and especially from a son of a single mom. Like I said before; it is with great difficulty that you raise children and to raise them as a single mom is so much more difficult. I cheer on the mothers that can do it and do it with success and great pride:
                            http://youtu.be/jmg8wTyht-c


I believe that many women can probably relate to my story: I was married with three boys and I did not receive much help if any at all with those boys. As they grew I did not receive any help at all and then they grew to an age where they wanted to do more in their lives rather than just stay home. So I started carting them all over the place-soccer, golf, dance…you get the picture. So you become and single married mother. By the time my eldest was 13 I was finally single and then I really had a plateful. I not only had to cart them around, but I had to work and go to college. I know the difficulties of raising children alone, but financially I did have help. The story that this man talks about on stage is a miracle to me. She did it alone and I praise that woman for that.
  
DO SOMETHING.ORG:
 
11 Facts About Teen Pregnancy
1. 3 in 10 teen American girls will get pregnant at least once before age 20. That’s nearly 750,000 teen pregnancies every year.
 
2. Parenthood is the leading reason that teen girls drop out of school. More than half of teen mothers never graduate from high school
 
3. Less than 2 percent of teen moms earn a college degree by age 30
 
4. About a quarter of teen moms have a second child within 24 months of their first baby.

5. The United States has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the western industrialized world.

6. From 1990 to 2008, the teen pregnancy rate decreased 42 percent (from 117 to 68 pregnancies per 1,000 teen girls).

7. In 2008 the teen pregnancy rate among African-American and Hispanic teen girls, age 15 to 19, was over two and a half times higher than the teen pregnancy rate among white teen girls of the same age group.

8. 8 out of 10 teen dads don’t marry the mother of their child.

9. A sexually active teen who doesn’t use contraceptives has a 90 percent chance of becoming pregnant within a year.

10. Almost 50 percent of teens have never considered how a pregnancy would affect their lives.

11. Teens had fewer babies in 2010 than in any year since the mid-1940s.



I would like everyone to go to DoSomething.ORG and check out their sight. They have something for everyone not just for the Teen Parents. There are causes for everyone that is interested in helping out; Bullying, Animals, Homeless, etc.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment